Our daily walk, with the Daily Bread. Let's talk about it...

Friday, January 22, 2010

It Is More Blessed to Give Than to Receive

What's on your mind...

"Nothing has been planned yet," was the response I got from my daughter's principal. I had called to see if I could help with the Haiti Relief effort at the school. Based on her response, I couldn't just sit on the side lines or help out this time, it was obviously my turn to step up, take the ball and run with it.

I could sit back and say, "What can I do?" or "Orchestrating a fundraiser sounds like a lot of work," but is that what we are called to do? Sit back and wait for someone else to do it, or talk a good game with very little action? In fact we could look at this from two different angles, what if every school in America held a fundraiser or what if everyone waited for someone else to do it.

Well, as I was planning the Haiti Relief Fund Effort at the school, I was reminded of a scripture in Acts. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' Acts 20:35

I actually just remembered the latter part of that verse, the part we all have memorized, but isn't the first half very interesting. Are we willing to work hard to help someone else? Or are we so concerned with helping ourselves that we can't find the time to be a blessing to someone else. If you've never tried it, I dare you. Giving is its own reward.

Oh, needless to say I did not make it to the gym this week, but I did wear my ankle weights. So technically every step was a work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment